15 Oct 2020
TRCSL Sri Lanka Publishes New Type Approval Regulation
The Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL) has introduced the updated Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (RTTE) Type Approval Rules 2020, in accordance with Section 68 and Sections 5(o), 5(q), 5(v), and 5(w) of the Sri Lanka Telecommunications Act No: 25 of 1991, as amended.
Here is a summary of the key changes in the type approval regulations:
1. The Simplified Application is only available for those that are already done a NEW Application after December 16th. The simplified application is used for an alternative importer or 2nd importer.
2. Fee to import devices.
3. Type Approval charges have been revised.
4. The certificate holder must be a local company that holds also the telecommunication license. Previous certificates issued under the manufacturer's name will not be valid after 6 months. Instead, a new application must be submitted under a local company.
5. Test report submission within 3 months validity (or declaration of the validity of the report from the manufacturer).
6. Type Approval exemption list.
7. The processing time for type approval applications is mentioned as 30 working days by TRCSL, but the actual timeline may vary based on sample receipt and document completion.
8. The validity of the certificate changes from 3 years into 4 years. So does the exempt letter, the validation will be 4 years.
9. More specific documents request.
10. All equipment approved by TRCSL must comply with mandatory labelling requirements. The labels, which need to be purchased from TRCSL, will become mandatory from June 16th, 2021.
11. One sample required to support type approval applications, with TRC reserving the right to request up to 2 samples for all TA (previously only Telecom product need sample). TRCSL has the right to keep the samples for 2 years.
12. Existing certificates will be valid for 6 months, after that all needs to apply for a new certificate (only the standard type approval process is available for this type of certification).
13. Mandatory labelling requirements for all equipment approved by TRC. Labels must be purchased from TRCSL. The label requirement will be implemented from June 16th, 2021.
These updated regulations aim to streamline the Type Approval process for Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment in Sri Lanka. The official regulation draft can be seen at this link : https://www.trc.gov.lk/images/SM/RTTE_GAZETTE-English.pdf